Notes from the Rainforest Foods kitchen: a vibrant salad that brings together the flavours of the summer season.
Great satisfaction can be found in creating food that reflects the seasons. Throughout the summer the materials available change, from the salads and early beans of July, to the abundant beans and greens of July. By mid-August these are joined by a profusion of fruits, especially the soft berries. Strawberries and raspberries come first, followed by blueberries and blackberries.
Picking and eating them on the spot is an iconic summertime taste experience, but if any make it to your kitchen they work brilliantly in a raw salad. This recipe combines the crunch of carrot and earthy depth of beetroot with fresh spinach, tangy and iron-rich. The dressing is punchy, with lemon and Dijon mustard. It is also protein and vitamin-abundant, thanks to a good spoonful of Barley grass. The seasonal fruit not only ties the dish to the seasonal moment, but brings a rewarding freshness and sweetness to the experience. This is quite literally the taste of summer.
- 4 carrots, grated
- 3 large beetroots, grated
- 2 generous handfuls of spinach, shredded
- Two spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- A handful of nuts of your choice
- 200g/7oz seasonal berries (if you want to prepare this salad out of season, berries are generally available in frozen form)
- A generous handful of fresh herbs. A good combination is mint, basil and parsley. Chop them finely
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp. Rainforest Foods Barley grass powder
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. clear honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated or crushed
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to season
In a large bowl, mix the salad ingredients together with your hands. Pour on the dressing, and massage it in with your hands until the salad is coated thoroughly. Season to taste