Notes from the Rainforest Foods kitchen: a fruit-rich snack bar for a healthy packed lunch.
September brings the end of the summer holidays, and we head dutifully back to work and school. Sandwich boxes are dusted off, as the season of the packed lunch has returned. With this in mind we developed this vegan-friendly, raw take on the granola bar.
This recipe contains a lot of fruit, most of it dried. The higher the quality of the fruit that you use, the better the result will be. Non-organic fruit production involves the use of significant quantities of chemicals, so we suggest that you try to use organic fruit and seeds here. Naturally, the Rainforest Foods Chia seed is organic.
Chia is a good ingredient for a snack bar, providing as it does, a combination of carbohydrates and omega oils. Not for nothing is it favoured by endurance athletes.
- 250g/9oz pitted dates
- 80g/3oz apricots
- 80g/3oz cranberries, raisins or a mix of both
- 190g/6.5oz oats or millet flakes
- 60g/2.5oz almonds
- 150g/5oz mixed seeds
- 60g/2.5oz walnuts
- 2tbsp Rainforest Foods Chia seeds
- 1tsp sesame seeds
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Place the dates, vanilla extract, lemon juice and oats/millet flakes in a blender, and blend a little. Add the nuts and seeds and blend again. Be careful not to over-blend it however. The mixture should remain rather chunky in texture. Add the rest of the dried fruit and spices and blend again to achieve a chunky, sticky consistency.
- Line a small, square cake tin with baking paper. Press the mixture firmly into the tin and scatter a few more sesame seeds on the top. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- Lift carefully from the tin and cut into squares or bars.