Notes from the Rainforest Foods kitchen: a winning way with Chlorella
While it is increasingly popular, the broad-spectrum superfood Chlorella is usually regarded as a savoury rather than a sweet ingredient. This is unsurprising – being an algae, its flavour does tend towards the former. The Rainforest Foods kitchen is the scene of frequent experiments with our algae products, and here we have succeeded in creating a dessert that is as delicious as it is nutritious.
The key flavour in this recipe is lime, to whose citrus sharpness is added the richness of coconut oil and avocado. Sweetness can come from one of several sources, such as maple syrup or agave. We chose to use a good local honey.
- 3 ripe avocadoes
- Juice and zest of 3 limes
- 60g/2.5oz melted coconut oil
- Several drops of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. of a sweetener of your choice.
- 2 tsp. Rainforest Foods Chlorella powder
- Melt the coconut oil, either in a warm place or in a bowl set on a pan of simmering water.
- Combine the avocados and the melted coconut oil in a blender. Make sure all the lumps are gone from the avocado before adding the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- While this is a smooth mousse, you could add a little texture if you prefer. To do this simply put in a few spoonfuls of desiccated coconut.
Serve in bowls or glasses.